Saturday 16 April 2022

First Listen Thoughts: Machine Gun Kelly - Mainstream Sellout

1. Born With Horns: Starts off strong but when it slows down and MGK hums it's a little annoying. Thankfully it picks back up. Not quite the start Tickets To My Downfall had but it's a good enough song. 

2. God Save Me: This is a pretty catchy bop. So far I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of the first 2 tracks given the very mixed reaction to the singles.

3. Maybe: This was by far my favourite single I heard before the album released and I hope one day it can take over the top streamed song from Emo Girl. Bring Me's feauture is excellent and worth all the hype.

4. Drug Dealer: Musically it's very similar to God Save Me just 200 times more Cringe. Also not a Lil Wayne fan though I appreciate him putting melody into his feature. 

5. Wall Of Fame: God damn interludes. At least Pete is funnier in this one than his appearance on Tickets To My Downfall which was downright cringe.

6. Mainstream Sellout: This is a banger. MGK just seems to know how to tackle the self-titled tracks on his albums. It's fast paced and energetic. Probably the deep cut of the album since the rest of this album is singles heavy but I'll happily be wrong.

7. Makeup Sex: Blackbear's feature is the best part of this song and although it's not as high intensity as some of the other tracks I might enjoy this one musically the most... But those lyrics. Oh boy! We'll see what happens with this song having more time at this rate it's a borderline on my year end top 100.

8. Emo Girl: I don't mind Willow's feature and although the music is more upbeat than the other singles I didn't like this one just might be too cringe to get behind and also MGK wrote this about Megan Fox in Jennifer's Body? Trap music wasn't even a thing. I can't get past that line.

9. 5150: This appears to be people's favourite MGK solo deep cut from this album given it has the most streams and I know I praised the title track earlier but 5150 is definitely better and I'm basically 100% certain nothing will be better.

10. Papercuts: What a boring song to kick off this new era with. Thankfully thus far nothing has sounded close to this musically.

11. WW4: Maybe a little too close to current events but it's the fast punk rock song clocking in around a minute in length. MGK did one of these on the last release and I enjoy it when it comes up but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it so read into that what you will and this one seems weaker after 1 listen.

12. Ay!: This is an easy pass. This seems like it would fit closer on MGK's promised rap album coming out later this year but he liked it so he wanted it out earlier. It's a no from me though Dawg.

13. Fake Love Don't Last: The chorus of this song is really solid. I wish the verses were as strong, Iann Dior's feature is also forgettable like his feature on his last song with MGK, it's not bad just doesn't add anything to the song that could use some help.

14. Die In California: The 808 beat is a little too high in the mix and given it's the only instrumentation it just loops and overpowers the vocal parts. although some of these features are bad so I don't mind it at some points but the chorus is the highpoint. 

15. Sid & Nancy: They really buried this gem huh? This is a much better "love" song than Emo Girl.

16: Twin Flame: Like Emo Girl, I get why he made this song, I really do. But that doesn't make it good. The slow songs I've heard he is able to sound emotive but this one just sounds flat.

Overall thoughts: This album could've been better simply cutting down the tracklist. Put Ay! and Die In California on the upcoming rap album. Ditch Twin Flame and move Drug Dealer, Makeup Sex or Emo Girl down to the final track to break up the cringe in the middle. Do all that and I think this holds up as a worthy successor to Tickets To My Downfall. Unfortunately this does not hit those highs but also not nearly as bad as I thought given the singles so that's a plus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment