Wednesday 27 April 2022

First Listen Thoughts: Belmont - Aftermath

1. Fully Sent: Lots of riff salad parts in this but the melody is very strong and the rap/scream style suits Belmont very well. I know I'm gonna be in for some painful to listen songs later on due to the prog influences but this was a strong start.

2. Parasitic: Yeah, I've listened to this one a lot. I expect it to get into my top 100 songs of 2022 currently as it gets stronger with every listen. The heaviest of the singles we got will make all the hardcore kids happy.

3. Bowser's Castle: This came out last year as part of the "Bowser's Castle Mixtape" that I didn't get to but I did enjoy this song quite a bit and just missed out on my top songs of 2021. 

4. Pain Now: The Breakdown is solid and the rap verse leading into it is fun but there's a little too much chaos happening here with the tones changing from word to word especially during the chorus and we don't need a soft 40 second reprise as an outro, thanks.

5. In My Skin: More 808's than the opening track but other than that both songs are very similar. Not much variety there but enjoyable and I know there's more variety to come...

6. Country Girl: Speak of the devil! This is a fun enough song to freak out your friends by saying "I like country now" (bonus points if they like country). But I don't expect there to be much staying power for me but if you want to see someone gush over this song and video check out The Punk Rock MBA's video on it. Personally I enjoy the bridge and the twang added isn't awful but the traditional country musicianship just isn't for me and I like joke songs but this is just full of innuendos and it gets to be a lot especially when it's low hanging fruit like "She smiles biggest when she rides my tractor".

7. Top Gun (From The Top): As soon as this song started I thought "Ugh more prog chaos" the chorus was okay but definitely not for me. Sorry Belmont. Y'all are talented as hell but I can't do it.

8. 4am//Disappear: This is a midtempo banger with a lot of 808's but it works so well with the singer's voice tone. This definitely should've been a single. 

9. Never Found: This seems to be the most like an old Belmont song but it's still a ways away from where they started. This is probably the strongest drum work on the album (or better mixed) which is a huge compliment here.

10. Guilt Trip: The first 20 seconds or so was the best part of this song easily. It went riff heavy and I basically tuned out. Such a shame cause I was super pumped for that intro.

11. What I Lack: Probably the best melody on the album but that could be because I spent more time with this than most other tracks. This was also a much needed break from the riff salad.

12. Advanced Darkness: Okay this is most like old Belmont and I like it a lot. Definitely the deep cut of the album (how does this have the least amount of streams!?) Was the screaming bridge was a little long? Yeah. but the musical interlude and the call back to it was cool but again. Should've cut it down by 10 seconds at least on each side. 


No comments:

Post a Comment