Saturday 11 December 2021

Special: Deconstructing Simple Plan's "My Christmas List"

We got another holiday special for you kiddos. It has been 20 years since Simple Plan wrote and recorded their Christmas single "My Christmas List" which just hit digital streaming platforms this year (finally). But some of the lyrics have definitely aged so we're going to look at all the "wants" Pierre and the band list and see how they hold up as we enter 2022.


1. I want a car: This is a pretty safe bet to age well. There will likely always be some type of car. Had they of said "I want a Pontiac Sunfire" then we'd be cringing.

2. I want a life: The irony of "Welcome To My Life" being their biggest hit a few short years later. But yeah, the younger generation feels like they have no life outside of school and/or work so I'd say this aged pretty well too for them but as for 40+ year old Pierre and his generation I don't think they say "I want a life" often.

3. I want a first class trip to Hawaii: Yeah, who wouldn't want a sunny getaway in December? I feel this would apply to us older folks more but I'm sure young adults would dream of hooking up with some hula girls as well.

4. I want a lifetime supply of Skittles: Skittles are a classic. 40 year olds likely wouldn't want a lifetime supply for themselves but hey they make great gifts I'm sure. 

5. I want a lifetime supply of Slurpees: Slurpees are 7-11's version of Icee drinks. They are extremely popular, in Canada anyways, and I would absolutely love this at 32 as much as I would have at 18.

6. I want a lifetime supply of Eskimo pies: So I had to look up what this was, I never had a real one but I'm sure Canada has some knock off brands I've had but yeah "Eskimo" is a taboo term so this aged poorly as the company itself has changed the name to "Edy's Pies"

7. I want a DVD: People still buy DVD's for sure, but in the context of this song it's clear they meant DVD player just shortened it to DVD and I don't think anyone has bought a standalone DVD player out of the box in the last decade.

8. I want a big screen tv: Another ageless wonder by being vague. Had this of been "Widescreen TV" we'd have a big Oof as that was the thing of the future in the early 00's.

9: I want a girl in my bed (who knows what to do): The general idea of wanting a girl who knows what to do is okay in a vaccum but I dunno as a gift you want someone to bring/buy you seems either rapey or someone gifting you a prostitute which seems a little off to me.

10: I want a Playstation 2: We're over 1 year into the lifespan of the Playstation 5 so yeah. This is pretty old but hey at least they used a system made by a company still using the branding and making consoles. It could've been "Sega Dreamcast" or "Nintendo Gamecube".

11: I want a shopping spree in NYC: And to close it off another safe bet unless New York City becomes a dystopian city Mad Max style in our lifetime. That seems less likely than cars, tv's or 7-11's becoming obsolete though.

No comments:

Post a Comment