Sunday 26 December 2021

Special: Ranking Disney+ Original MCU shows

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season thus far but we are not quite done yet. I've usually taken this time of year to talk about the baseball hall of fame ballot or to start off my year end lists. I'm not prepared to do the latter and I have a podcast that covers baseball, specifically the Toronto Blue Jays but we do lots over there MLB wide (www.anchor.fm/insidethedome) so baseball thoughts will likely stay there. But what we did get recently is a new Disney+ Marvel show in Hawkeye, the 5th that takes place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, all of which that were released this year so I thought it would be fun to rank them based on how much I enjoyed them.

5. What If?

I'll be honest, I haven't finished What If? Maybe it's because it's a series of one offs instead of cohesive story telling? I'm not sure. When I watch it I do enjoy it it just hasn't been must see tv like the other 4 shows on this list have been despite being the only animated show, and animated expertly might I add at that.

4. Loki

I feel like Loki might have suffered most from the pandemic as there were several episodes that seems to just have Loki by himself or with one or two other people simply talking. I enjoyed the time authority reason for existing and the villain shown at the end but despite being excited to see Loki go solo, his storyline was pretty stale overall.

3. The Falcon & The Winter Soldier

This was a fantastic show and very nearly took the #2 spot but it just came up a little short. Doing a lot in only 6 episodes, this show not only deals with the financial toll of being a Superhero (Falcon) but also the mental toll it takes on your psyche, especially if you were brainwashed and did some regrettable things in the past (Winter Soldier). Oh also race in America is a big thing still in 2021, who knew?

2. Wandavision

Like I said, Wandavision and Falcon & Winter Soldier were very close. Ultimately it'd be easy enough to say Wandavision got an extra three episodes so that was the difference maker but the first three Wandavision episodes overall didn't do much for me, what it did do was keep me coming back for more to try to unravel the mystery at hand and once we got into normal MCU mode I was invested in following Wanda's journey of grief over Vision.

1. Hawkeye

I'm probably going to get a lot of hate here but I absolutely love this Hawkeye series. I will not speak specific spoilers but the way they combined another Marvel show into this one was brilliantly done and we still get the emotion from other series with Hawkeye and Yelena dealing with Natasha not being around anymore in their own ways. But overall this is based on the Fraction/Aja run of Hawkeye which has been my favourite Marvel Comics book of the last I dunno, 20 years? So yeah. Hawkeye definitely deserves this placement. Oh and I will also be watching this series every Christmas from here on out as this is essential viewing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment