Monday 17 August 2020

Special: First Listen Thoughts: Neck Deep "All Distortions Are Intentional", Broadside "Into The Raging Sea", Taylor Swift "Folklore"

Neck Deep - All Distortions Are Intentional

Label: Hopeless Records

Press release: This latest set is more conceptual in nature, following the story of a loner named Jett who lives in a place dubbed "Sonderland," which is viewed as a combination of "Wonderland" and the word "sonder" which is the realization that everyone else may be living a life as complex and rich as your own. “It’s that strange existential realization that you are not the entire world,” explains singer Ben Barlow. “Everyone around you feels and lives the same way that you do. You’re just an extra in their story.”

My thoughts: This record is definitely different but still enjoyable. There's no certified bangers after one listen but there's enough to enjoy. The singles thus far have all been great choices and the only songs I'm not into is Quarry (big yikes) and Little Dove.

Broadside - Into The Raging Sea

Label: Sharptone Records

Press release: Broadside will release their new album Into The Raging Sea on July 24 via SharpTone Records. On the new album, frontman Ollie Baxxter shares: “All of the people I’ve idolized always say songs just flowed out of them, not because they wanted them to necessarily, but because they had to. Up until recently, that didn’t feel realistic for me. I didn’t think I was capable of creating art with that pureness of spirit.“

My thoughts: Outside of the closer which is a snoozer after one listen, this is a solid album top to (almost) bottom. I was worried they were going extra dark and melancholy on this release with the singles they've released and with the signing to Sharptone, however Broadside keep the punchy guitars and upbeat bangers like Dancing On The Ceiling and Overdramatic.

Taylor Swift - Folklore

Label: Republic Records

Press release: Surprise 🤗 Tonight at midnight I’ll be releasing my 8th studio album, folklore; an entire brand new album of songs I’ve poured all of my whims, dreams, fears, and musings into. Before this year I probably would’ve overthought when to release this music at the ‘perfect’ time, but the times we’re living in keep reminding me that nothing is guaranteed. My gut is telling me that if you make something you love, you should just put it out into the world.

My thoughts: Taylor, I love your pop sensibilities but this record completely lacks that. Maybe I'll come around on some tracks eventually but as of now the standout that I'll come back to is The Last Great American Dynasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment