Sunday 17 May 2020

Special: First Listen Thoughts: Green Day "Father Of All Motherfuckers", Hot Mulligan "You'll Be Fine", Belmont "Reflections"

Green Day - Father Of All Motherfuckers

Label: Reprise Records

Press release: Green Day have announced a new album called Father of All Motherfuckers. Due out February 7th, 2020 via Reprise/Warner Records, it marks the punk rockers’ 13th studio album to date and follows 2016’s Revolution Radio. The album’s announcement coincides with news of the band’s massive “Hella Mega Tour” with Fall Out Boy and Weezer.

My thoughts: You know, I get it. This isn't the Green Day we're used to but it's not like their last few offerings have given us anything that stands the test of time (I know 21 Guns does but it's not for me). I'm glad they tried something different and you know what I don't even hate the sound that much. My biggest issue is that most of the songs sound musically the same. I've come around on some of the tracks for what they are but I don't think these songs will be in regular rotation for me except for a select few.

Hot Mulligan - You'll Be Fine

Label: No Sleep Records

Press release: Hot Mulligan has announced details for their upcoming new album, you'll be fine, which will be released Friday, March 6 through No Sleep Records. Hot Mulligan writes songs for people to sing as loud as possible. Their music is the cathartic outcry for growth from a generation of forward-thinking Midwesterners caught in the gears of a rusted system in desperate need of hope.

My thoughts: I can't get behind the emo revival for the most part but Hot Mulligan blends it with pop punk hooks and vocals which is stronger than ever on this sophomore release.

Belmont - Reflections

Label: Pure Noise Records

Press release: Progressive-punk quintet, Belmont, have announced the release of their new EP, Reflections,  13th March via Pure Noise Records. They are a collection of new ideas, experimentation, and an opportunity to lay down anything we’ve ever wanted in our music, but have been hesitant of trying in the past.” drummer, Brian Lada, shares on the forthcoming EP.

My thoughts: This EP is all over the place, from the trap beats of Side By Side and Move Along to the metal guitars on Stay Up. You can definitely tell that Belmont were experimenting on this EP to further shape their sound before recording LP2 later this year. Although I long for the straight up Pop Punk of their past I'm excited to see where Belmont takes their sound from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment