Wednesday 3 July 2019

Special: Emo Meme Review #3

Welcome back folks. Not so much of an Emo Meme Review this time as much as it is an Emo Video Review. You might have seen these tier lists going around? Yeah? Good cause there is a couple youtubers that did pop punk/emo ones (hat tip to Nate The Mate and Infinity On Hannah) so I decided to take the bands they used and rank them myself. Check out an example below and then below that I do the full ranking!.

















S Tier:

A Day To Remember

I didn't love the latest album but I loved all the others so that's enough for me. Really you should've seen this coming if you read the first Emo Meme Review.

State Champs

The Kings of American Pop Punk. They definitely deserve this spot.

Neck Deep

The Kings of European Pop Punk. They definitely deserve this spot.

Man Overboard

Man Overboard appeared to be in the drivers sear of pop punk at what point but then the scene split to POP punk and emo revival leaving them in the middle without a fan base that went to one of those other sectors.

New Found Glory

The undisputed godfathers of pop punk continue to rip to this day. They are my favourite band of all time so this is a no brainer.

A Tier:

All Time Low

Despite everyone shitting on their last album I didn't mind it. There were some bops but also some misses but they had been incredibly consistent up to that point.

blink-182

It's blink. I get people aren't a fan of the current lineup but I'm fine with it. Only thing keeping it from the S tier is their earlier work and the newer stuff not quite being up to par.

Seaway

Canada's favourite pop-punkers (do we still call them that?) they experimented on their newest record and honestly it's the best thing they've ever released so kudos to Seaway. Hope they keep it up.

Knuckle Puck

If State Champs and Neck Deep are the king of modern pop punk, Knuckle Puck isn't far behind. Their full lengths are great and their ep's may be even better!

The Story So Far

I was shocked to rank them here as I would've thought B but once I started comparing them to other bands here it was obvious they were a step ahead of the B tier bands.

B Tier:

As It Is

They only have 3 full lengths and they've arguably tackled a different genre on each. I don't think they'll ever touch the greatness that their debut was again but I'm fine with their experimentation overall.

Fall Out Boy

I don't hate post-hiatus FOB, I strongly do not like Mania, which probably kept them from joining blink in the A tier.

The Wonder Years

TWY should probably be A tier but the last two albums drug their tier down, sorry kids they're just not as good in my eyes as the original three they released.

Paramore

Another one that should probably be an A but the self titled was a mixed bag and After Laughter was mostly below average.

Green Day

Green Day is held down by their early material and their questionable choices made since American Idiot. Hopefully we see a resurrection soon.

Grayscale

I really tried to be fair with these rankings but Grayscale, even with just one excellent album deserves a B especially after hearing Painkiller Weather.

Mayday Parade

Mayday Parade has been a consistently slightly above average band throughout their career (though I still love A Lesson In Romantics) so B was the obvious tier for them.

Waterparks

I'm slightly nervous was the future of Waterparks will sound like but right now they deserve a B for their first 2 full lengths alone.

C Tier:

Boston Manor

They're a fine band but they haven't done anything to really grab me at this point except for a few great singles. Maybe next album lads.

Trash Boat

See Boston Manor above

Taking Back Sunday

I loved Taking Back Sunday's debut, the 2nd album was great as well but since then it's been very hit or miss (more likely the later) which is holding them back to C status.

Transit

A band that was taken from us far too soon they released 2 solid albums and 1 just a step down which unfortunately keeps them an overall C.

Real Friends

Real Friends just missed out on a B but my overall "meh" feelings of their first 2 full lengths hold it back even if I did love the EP's and Composure.

Modern Baseball

Another band gone too soon but we enjoyed the ride while it lasted though I wasn't as high on this band as others were.

D Tier:

Basement

Sorry Basement fans, I've never listened to them in the last 10 years maybe I'll start eventually but not today.

Trophy Eyes

I have listened to this band, some songs are good, some are not. Not really a band I go out of my way to listen to though.

Citizen

Sorry Citizen fans, I've never listened to them in the last 10 years maybe I'll start eventually but not today.

Joyce Manor

Sorry Joyce Manor fans, I've never listened to them in the last 10 years maybe I'll start eventually but not today.

Balance & Composure

Sorry B&C fans, I've never listened to them in the last 10 years maybe I'll start eventually but not today.

Belmont

Just recently started listening to this band, they're solid but I need to hear more before I can reasonably move them up a tier.

WSTR

WSTR are fine like Belmont above but I haven't heard enough of them to justify a higher spot than this.

Hot Mulligan

This is a newer band, I just haven't given them a listen yell. Feel free to yell at me.

Movements

Oh Movements, I tried really hard to get into you, I just couldn't do it. Some of their early songs on their EP were solid but everything else is just meh. I don't hate them, they just aren't for me.

Title Fight

Sorry Title Fight fans, I've never listened to them in the last 10 years maybe I'll start eventually but not today.

Remo Drive

This is a newer band, I just haven't given them a listen yell. Feel free to yell at me.

Heart Attack Man

This is a newer band, I just haven't given them a listen yell. Feel free to yell at me.

F Tier:

Brand New

I would've added a level for Brand New, I did like their first 3 records and even had a soft spot for their 5th but given how the situation was handled I can't reasonably enjoy them anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment