Sunday 25 December 2016

Special: Top 10 Christmas Food

Seeing as you're reading this on Christmas Day, likely after you opened your presents you're probably looking forward to Christmas dinner the most. Well I'm here to countdown my top 10 traditional Canadian Christmas food items.

10. Applie Cider

It's Christmas Day, you can't really go the whole day without drinking anything. Might as well get a warm cup full of apple cider to calm you down after the excitement of getting everything on your wishlist (or coal, depending what category you fall in).

9. Shortbread

What better to go along with your warm cup of apple cider than some shortbread? Because you're going to need something to tide you over until dinner.

8. Mashed Potatoes

Okay I realize this is kind of a "boring" part of Christmas dinner for most people. But I'm not most people. I very rarely get mashed potatoes so I welcome any opportunity to gorge on them, and with Christmas dinner you know you're guaranteed delicious turkey gravy as well.

7. Christmas Chocolate

Ah... The best breakfast of the year. After opening your stocking (sometimes while) you get to the chocolate in the toe of your stocking which is usually one of your favourites. You then proceed to eat that until you feel like you're going to fall into a sugar coma... Mmmmm sugar coma.

6. Butter Tarts

What's better than Christmas dinner?? Why Christmas desert of course! I'm not picky I love butter tarts made with raisins or pecans, in fact I think I prefer the raisin ones more which makes me kind of an outcast but it is what it is... And it is delicious.

5. Stuffing

This was a tough one for me... You know, my mom makes delicious stuffing but all other stuffing pales in comparison. So if we were talking about stuffing in general this is where it ranks but if we were talking about what I look forward to on Christmas day this would be #1.

4. Pumpkin Pie

Mmmm dessert. I love Pumpkin Pie it's a shame it's only proper to eat from October to Christmas which makes it a special dish I really only get a couple times a year, if that (again I'm the outcast that actually likes pumpkin pie among my family.

3. Turkey

I'll be honest, as a kid I never really liked the idea of eating Turkey on Christmas, I much rather preferred ham but as I got older I only got turkey on holidays so it became that much more important to me. However I'm now even older and doing my own groceries so I can eat turkey whenever I want which makes it able to slide to #3 on this list.

2. Sugar Cookies

This was tough to not put at #1 but it's just not nearly as filling or flavourful as our #1 but sugar cookies are well worth any place on your Christmas spread.

1. Ham

My favourite meat is ham so of course it cracks #1. I recently found out my fiance doesn't really like turkey which means going forward we will always bring Ham to holiday dinners which is fine with me! Yum yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment