Sunday 24 May 2015

Special: Avengers: Age Of Ultron/Mad Max: Fury Road/Hot Pursuit Mini-Reviews

Avengers: Age Of Ultron:

When Tony Stark jumpstarts a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and Earth's Mightiest Heroes, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, are put to the ultimate test as they battle to save the planet from destruction at the hands of the villainous Ultron.

My thoughts? Age of Ultron had huge expectations after the success of Joss Whedon's first Avengers team up in 2012. I must say I wasn't enamored with the opening sequence as much as everyone else was, it was painfully obvious CGI and I found myself concentrating on that more so than The Avengers getting back in the saddle to retrieve Loki's staff. Now watching it a second time I was being too nitpicky since Age of Ultron is a really fun ride, but it fails in comparison to it's predecessor. The only person to blame for this is Whedon himself for setting the bar so damn high. The script paces well and all the actors bring their A-game. Spader was the highlight for me being one of the only true new characters to pop up as he made a perfect Ultron. As mentioned the action sequences were flawed at times but still mostly entertaining.

Final verdict: 5 infinity stones out of 5.

Mad Max: Fury Road:

Filmmaker George Miller gears up for another post-apocalyptic action adventure with Fury Road, the fourth outing in the Mad Max film series. Charlize Theron stars alongside Tom Hardy (Bronson), with Zoe Kravitz, Adelaide Clemens, and Rosie Huntington Whiteley heading up the supporting cast.

My thoughts? Those who caught my most anticipated movies of the summer list might have noticed that Avengers and Mad Max slotted in as my Top 2 films, and although Avengers dissapointed with failing to live up to the original, Mad Max also dissapointed though this one's on me for giving it such high expectations. Once the critics reviews started rolling in (current 98% on RT) my expectations sky rocketed further.What I was left with was a really good movie but not the cinematic masterpiece I expected. The acting was solid, though the supplementary roles could've used some work, Theron's role as strongest characted was vastly overstated and outshined by Nicholas Hoult's Nux. I thought after a 2nd viewing I'd enjoy it more like Age Of Ultron but that unfortunetly was not the case as it was the same movie, still looking forward to upcoming sequels though.

Final verdict: 4 wildboys out of 5.

Hot Pursuit:

In "Hot Pursuit," an uptight and by-the-book cop (Reese Witherspoon) tries to protect the sexy and outgoing widow (Sofia Vergara) of a drug boss as they race through Texas, pursued by crooked cops and murderous gunmen.

My thoughts? Where do I start... The leads are two generally likeable actress's in Vergara and Whitherspoon, fresh off another oscar nomination too might I add. Unfortunetly the only part I enjoyed when they were both on screen was when their names were featured together in the end credits as it meant this piece of poop was done. The script was terrible as I couldn't even pull out a giggle at even the most rudimentary joke. Which left director Anne Fletcher searching for answers on how to get anything of substance to the screen, not that Fletcher has the best track record in the director's chair with The Proposal being her highest rated film at a rotten 44%. This is just pure garbage all around... Stay away!

Final verdict: 1 bad buddy-cop movie out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment