Sunday 5 September 2021

Special: First Listen Thoughts: With Confidence "With Confidence", Goody Grace "Don't Forget Where You Came From" NoFX "Single Album"

With Confidence - Self-Titled

Label: Hopeless Records

Press release: With Confidence new album will be self-titled and will be dropping on August 27 via Hopeless Records. The band had this to say about it: “For album 3, we are just excited for people to hear some new music from us," note the band. "It’ll be 3 years when this album finally lands. There’s nothing better than pulling back that curtain and letting everybody in….like opening a new section of our own amusement park. We recorded it all here at home in Australia with our friend Stevie Knight who we worked on ‘Better Weather’ with. There’ll be new sounds, new rides, new appetites and hopefully, sometime soon, you’ll be standing in line to see a show. Love all day, love all the way etc, etc.”

My thoughts: I was very excited for this album, we've seen many pop-punk bands refine their sounds recently to great success (Seaway, Neck Deep and Grayscale jump to mind) and based on the 4 pre-release singles we got it seemed that would also be the case. I was lukewarm on Cult and Paper though the latter I've come around on a bit. Big Cat and Anything were certified bops however, unfortunately there's only one other bop to be found in the opening track. The self-titled album is pretty uneven here, and although I wouldn't normally come back to it I feel I owe With Con based on the fact that their other full lengths are amazing records I still love I have to see if this album is a grower.

Goody Grace - Don't Forget Where You Came From

Label: Atlantic Records

Press release: Acclaimed singer-songwriter-producer Goody Grace has dropped his first full-length project, Don’t Forget Where You Came From, available now via Atlantic Records. Inspired by his youth growing up in the remote town of Selkirk, Manitoba, Don’t Forget Where You Came From is an amalgamation of nostalgia, foresight and the rock, punk, alternative and hip-hop artists that have influenced Goody’s life.

My thoughts: This album is basically a collection of singles. In the new space artists seem to release a single every few months which is what Goody did and then he released an "album" with all those singles and a couple new tracks. Unfortunately I had been mixed on the singles and the deep cuts fall into rap territory more often than not and I was not there for that. I'm just gonna stick with the singles I liked from this release.

NoFX - Single Album

Label: Fat Wreck Chords

Press release: NOFX have announced a new album called ‘Single Album’. The Los Angeles outfit’s fourteenth studio effort will arrive via Fat Mike’s label Fat Wreck Chords on February 26, following on from 2016’s ‘First Ditch Effort’. ‘Single Album’ was originally set to be a double record, but the coronavirus pandemic changed NOFX’s plans. “When you write a double album, you write differently,” Mike said. ​“I was writing really different songs, and some fun songs, but you have to make a double album interesting enough to listen to the whole way. “I wanted to make a perfect double album, and I didn’t accomplish that. So I decided to just make a single album, hence the title.”

My thoughts: You will never hear me argue that Fat Mike is not a lyrical genius. That being said apart from the lyrics there is not a ton here for me. Linewleum was a solid first single but I didn't get behind Fuck Euphemism which is why it took me so long to get to this album . I Love You More Than I Hate You is probably the best song on this album with all the others going tonally all over the place with some songs starting off with me thinking "wow this is really good" before turning into something else that I don't buy in as much for or just being too weird. I was never the biggest NoFX fan, rather than enjoying everything they put out it tends to be more select songs I get behind. If your mind is made up one way or another on this band, Single Album isn't likely to change it but if you're a fan you'll enjoy this release.

No comments:

Post a Comment