Sunday 16 May 2021

Special: First Listen Thoughts: Weezer "Van Weezer", '68 "Give One Take One", Escape The Fate "Chemical Warfare"

Weezer - Van Weezer

Label: Atlantic Records

Press release: The inspiration for this album derives from the deepest roots of Weezer — metal!  What has metal got to do with Weezer, you ask? In his earliest years, Rivers was a huge KISS fan; Brian was a big Black Sabbath fan; Pat worshipped at the altar of Van Halen and Rush; Scott loved Slayer and Metallica. The last time this vein of harder rock was mined by Weezer was on their much-loved 2002 album Maladroit; Van Weezer is primed to take that album's sonics many steps further courtesy of producer Suzy Shinn. 

My thoughts: The Crazy Train rip-off riff on Blue Dream didn't sit well with me and the final 3 songs could use some fine tuning to be better but overall this is a pretty fun Weezer record. I was ready for the cheese and Rivers and the boys brought it and I enjoyed it.

'68 - Give One Take One

Label: Cooking Vinyl

Press release: Atlanta noise punk duo ’68 have confirmed that their third album is on its way. The record, ‘Give One Take One’, is due for release on March 26 via Cooking Vinyl. “I travel down several roads that are equal parts therapeutic to get off my chest and terrifying to share with the world. I believe you can feel the tangible joy that music gives each of us in this album" says singer Josh Scogin.“I’m so proud of this album and humbled by the journey that it took to get here. And if I’m honest, the vast majority of my thoughts are circled around the hope that we will be able to perform these songs live one day soon.”

My thoughts: The best way to explain this '68 record is to imagine an Every Time I Die record and make it danceable. It's got that southern metalcore twang to it with noise music blended in making loud music you can Zemo Dance to. This usually isn't my cup of tea and although there are some misses some of these tracks deserve your attention even if you tend to avoid stuff like Death From Above 1979.

Escape The Fate - Chemical Warfare

Label: Better Noise

Press release: Escape The Fate have announced their seventh studio album Chemical Warfare, releasing on February 21st via Better Noise Music. The album was produced by esteemed music producer John Feldmann (5 Seconds To Summer, The Used, Blink 182) as well by the band’s guitarist Kevin Thrasher.

My thoughts: John Feldmann's finger prints are all over this release. Which you'd expect since he produced, co-wrote (all but one song) as well as released the album. I didn't mind some of the singles that were released. They were cheesy but as stand alones I could enjoy them. But a whole album of it was not as good. This is a classic example of why sometimes leaving singles alone on their merits is perfectly acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment