Sunday 4 April 2021

Special: First Listen Thoughts: Architects "For Those That Wish To Exist", Story Untold "Nx Future", John The Ghost "I Only Want To Live Once"

It's April which means we have a winner in our March Madness style bracket where you help me choose what TV Show I should watch next and the votes are in. In a completely lopsided affair, likely the most lopsided ever, Lucifer crushed Supergirl in a battle of DC Comics properties.

Architects - For Those That Wish To Exist:

Label: Epitaph Records

Press Release: England-based post-metalcore quintet, Architects will release their ninth studio record For Those That Wish To Exist on February 26 via Epitaph. The self-produced record arrives as the follow-up to the band’s critically acclaimed 2018 release Holy Hell. On For Those That Wish To Exist, Architects examine the part we are all playing in the world’s slow destruction, and tackle the biggest questions facing the future of our planet. 

My thoughts: Holy Hell was an introspective album after dealing with the death of a member of the band. So on the follow up they went as outside as they could, likely to avoid the depths of another personal record and instead they examined the problems of the world surrounding them. The musicianship is strong throughout the record with the lyrics painting a dire picture. There are some misses, mainly on the slower tempo songs, but the riffs throughout the others make the songs enjoyable. The features from Neil and McCall are strong but the other one is forgettable.

Story Untold - Nx Future

Label: Self-released

Press Release: stxked tx annxunce “nx future” EP xut march 26!!!! pre-save link dxwn belxw
Black heart
Heavy multiplication x
let’s gxxxxxxxx

My thoughts: Yes, as you can tell from the "press release" above the album isn't titled "NX Future" it's No Future they are just replacing all o's with x's which makes for some awkward looking titles (Cxmfxrt in strangers will always read as cumfart to me). I did enjoy some of the stand alone singles the band released as a 2 piece prior to this X-era. Not sure if those will be on a full length later or if they'll remain stand alone tracks but nothing here really does much for me outside of "Gxne by 27" but who knows with time maybe I'll come around on some more. I understand the difficulty going from a full band to drums, guitar and vocals but as mentioned they put out better songs as a 2 piece prior to this so not sure that can be used as a crutch.

John The Ghost - I Only Want To Live Once

Label: 8123

Press Release: Arizona-based alt-pop singer-songwriter John O'Callaghan, aka John The Ghost announced his upcoming debut album “I Only Want To Live Once” will be released on February 12, 2021. The album is his first project in five years since his debut EP “Sincerely”. “What started out as a single song, turned into 3, turned into 7, which all turned into my debut 9 song album,” he said. “A friend of mine interpreted the title as a negative, when in reality I meant for it to highlight my lust for life. Live today because you live once.”

My thoughts: John O'Callaghan's solo project is seemingly just The Maine songs but with programming instead of instrumentation which does take away quite a bit of the energy had these of been band songs. Debut single Drive is probably the best this album has to offer though Rolled Down Windows gives it a run. The last 3 songs are likely the weakest even though I enjoyed DE'WAYNE popping up as I did not expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment