Sunday 8 November 2020

Special: First Listen Thoughts: Machine Gun Kelly "Tickets To My Downfall", The Menzingers "From Exile" and Mayday Parade "Out Of Here"

Machine Gun Kelly - Tickets To My Downfall

Label: Interscope Records

Press release: In 2019 MGK released his fourth studio album, Hotel Diablo, which ended with the track "I Think I'm Okay", a more rock-leaning song collaboration with Yungblud and Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker. MGK, wishing to explore the sound further, booked a day in recording studio to work with Barker, to record what would become the song "Bloody Valentine". The session was so powerful to MGK that he asked Barker to set aside two months for them to collaborate on an entire studio album, to which Barker obliged.

My thoughts: This album has it's fair share of heat (Title Track, Forget Me Too, Jawbreaker) but the slower songs and the numerous interludes don't mesh as well for me after one listen. That being said the singles grew on me more and more as I listened to them so I have no doubt the album as a whole will as well. (Editor's note: After listening to this album more I can confirm I've come around on Lonely but I really still don't like the spoken word interludes which sucks because at the end of the Meagan Fox one the music is actually good but not worth listening to due to the conversation that starts it.)

The Menzingers - From Exile

Label: Epitaph Records

Press release: Philadelphia-based punk band, The Menzingers will release From Exile, a reimagined stripped down version of their 2019 release Hello Exile. From Exile was recorded from the band’s respective homes while in isolation during COVID-19 stay at home orders. The album will be released digitally on September 25 and on vinyl November 13.

My thoughts: I love The Menzingers. Not too many old punk bands can pull off the emotionally raw lyricism they can so this album should be right up their lane right? Not so. First off I'm disappointed they couldn't even give us one new song. Secondly with the exception of Anna and some of the strings on the record I didn't really feel like they did anything to these songs to warrant going back to. I think I'll just stick with Hello Exile going forward.

Mayday Parade - Out Of Here

Label: Rise Records

Press release: Alternative mainstay Mayday Parade has announced the release of Out of Here – a brand-new EP due out on October 16th, 2020 via Rise Records. In early March, Mayday Parade stepped into the studio with longtime collaborators Zack Odom and Kenneth Mount to record the EP which is the first new material for the band since their 6th studio album Sunnyland released in 2018.

My thoughts: With only 3 songs there's not much to say about this EP, though it is a strong listen, I can see myself going back to any of the 3 songs though I Can Only Hope started off a bit too dark for me it picked up and became an anthem by the end of the song. Mayday Parade have been a consistently positive band throughout their career and all 3 songs have the same theme of hope which is nice if you needed that little bit of positivity in your life. Just throw on this album and within 10 minutes you'll be in a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment