Sunday 24 November 2019

Special: Lady And The Tramp, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Glass Mini-Reviews

Lady And The Tramp:

Synopsis: In Disney+'s "Lady and the Tramp," a timeless retelling of the 1955 animated classic, a pampered house dog and a tough but lovable stray embark on an unexpected adventure and, despite their differences, grow closer and come to understand the value of home.

My thoughts: As always with Disney live action remakes I look forward to a different movie than the animated one. If they make the exact same movie (Beauty & The Beast) I'm not down for it. Lady And The Tramp had the advantage of being largely forgotten by me so I can't hold that against it (or praise it for being different) however I will say the talking dogs had an initial shock at how bad the CGI looked but as the movie went on I forgot about. The action scenes with Tramp were well done as was the acting and the cinematography choices but I'm just not sure I'll ever come back to this one though I hope I'm wrong.

Final verdict: 3.5 spaghetti and meatball dinners.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood:

Synopsis: Quentin Tarantino's ninth feature film is a story that takes place in Los Angeles in 1969, at the height of hippy Hollywood. The two lead characters are Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio), former star of a western TV series, and his longtime stunt double Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt). Both are struggling to make it in a Hollywood they don't recognize anymore. But Rick has a very famous next-door neighbor...Sharon Tate.

My thoughts: This movie was strange as you sat there for 2 hours thinking this is the most mature Tarantino flick ever made! His love letter to old Hollywood seemed to be just that, until the last 40 minutes came and Tarantino decided to make up for lost time with spectacular overkill. The characters were strong, the story was for the most part interesting (but there were a flew blips). Tarantino overall did a good job and this likely supplanted Django as his film of this decade.

Final verdict: 4 Flamethrowers out of 5.

Glass:

Synopsis: From Unbreakable, Bruce Willis returns as David Dunn as does Samuel L. Jackson as Elijah Price, known also by his pseudonym Mr. Glass. Joining from Split are James McAvoy, reprising his role as Kevin Wendell Crumb and the multiple identities who reside within, and Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey Cooke, the only captive to survive an encounter with The Beast. Following the conclusion of Split, Glass finds Dunn pursuing Crumb's superhuman figure of The Beast in a series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Price emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men.

My thoughts: I didn't get on the Split bandwagon like everyone else did and I can now report I'm not on the Glass one either. M. Night does a good job of combining the worlds of Split and Unbreakable but there was nothing here that excited me. There were a couple minor twists I didn't see coming but I can't say overall I was shocked at the outcome. If you liked Split this will probably be up your alley. If not you can safely skip Glass without missing anything.

Final verdict: 3 superhumans out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment