Wednesday 19 June 2019

Special: Emo Meme Review #2

It's been a hot minute but we're back with another emo meme review that's not so much a meme but more of an image list like the previous one. This time it comes from @AlanHerrington on twitter who asks a simple question.

Now right away lets get the band out of the way: It's Silverstein, no question there. But Silverstein has an extensive back catalog how do I narrow it down to just 15. Well first some ground rules I'm making a point to represent each album so at least 1 song must appear from each of their 10 albums (yes even Short Songs and the Early Years count). So let's do an album by album breakdown of the top 3 songs to narrow it down.

The Early Years:
Bleeds No More, Red Light Pledge, Summer's Stellar Gaze

I think Bleeds No More is the obvious choice here, plus it frees up a different selection from WBIEF below since it also appears but I don't think the other 2 have any shot.

When Broken Is Easily Fixed:
Bleeds No More, Giving Up, Smashed Into Pieces

Smashed Into Pieces is the winner here, Bleeds No More is already in but I don't think we'll be able to squeeze Giving Up in. Sorry.

Discovering The Waterfront:
My Heroine, Smile In Your Sleep, The Ides Of March

As much as I'd love to hear Ides live I think there'd be a riot if I didn't include at least 1 of the big singles from this record. I prefer Smile In Your Sleep myself but we'll see if we can make room for Heroine later.

Arrivals & Departures:
If You Could See Into My Soul, Love With Caution, Still Dreaming

If You Could See Into My Soul is such an underrated gem in their catalog it's a shame it and this album gets overlooked I'm going with that one.

A Shipwreck In The Sand:
A Hero Loses Everyday, I Knew I Couldn't Trust You, Vices

I'm honestly not in love with this album like others are so I don't feel super strong about any of these songs so lets give the people what they want now, Vices, so I can take liberties later on.

Rescue:
Burning Hearts, Darling Harbour, Sacrifice

This is such an underappreciated album and I'm going to take my first liberty and grab Darling Harbour. Sacrifice or The Artist is usually the ones that gets played so easier to give us a deep cut here.

Short Songs:
Brookfield, Sleep Around, SOS

Does it matter? SOS I guess since it's the longest one but none of these songs are getting played otherwise.

This Is How The Wind Shifts:
Massachusetts, On Brave Mountains We Conquer, Stand Amid The Roar

Stand Amid The Roar is my pick here but all 3 of these songs are so good they can likely make it on this list. Silverstein better do a 10 year tour for this album or I'll be sad.

I Am Alive In Everything I Touch:
Face Of The Earth, The Continual Condition, Toronto (Unabridged)

Face Of The Earth is probably my favourite song but I'm tempted to go with The Continual Condition so I think I will. Face Of The Earth may still sneak in though.

Dead Reflection:
Cut And Run, The Afterglow, Whiplash

Whiplash gets the nod here since I already allowed the pop-punk style Darling Harbour in. But again I could see both these songs get in still.

Now that we got our initial 10 lets do a pair of tournaments for the other 5. Final four from first tourney move on and 1 last tourney where the champion continues on.

So there's our first 4 wildcards only one to go...

Looks like Sacrifice will take the last spot so our songs are in setlist order as I'd like/expect to hear them:

1. Stand Amid The Roar
2. On Brave Mountains We Conquer
3. Smile In Your Sleep
4. Bleeds No More
5. Darling Harbour
6. Whiplash
7. Smashed Into Pieces
8. If You Could See Into My Soul
9. SOS
10. The Continual Condition
11. Sacrifice
12. Massachusetts
13. Vices
14. My Heroine
15. The Afterglow

No comments:

Post a Comment