Tuesday 5 June 2018

Special: Making Fun: The Story Of Funko, Maze Runner: The Death Cure, The Open House Mini-Reviews

Making Fun: The Story Of Funko

Synopsis: Dive into a world of fun and collecting as this documentary follows the creation and impact of the Funko company and their successful toy and collectable empire.

My thoughts: I love Funko, and I love a good documentary, especially on something I care about so deeply. The problem with making fun was, unlike my other doc favourites, didn't really tell me anything I cared about. Instead it focused on a group of "Funatics" (Funko fans) that have been around since the beginning. It's great to hear their stories, but I don't care all that much about them. I'd rather hear about the foundation of the company (something they did cover, but not nearly enough) and it's rise to prominence. Had they of cut out the Funatic stuff and made this a 30 minute special doc then I would've been all on board. In the end it was fine, but not something that probably ever merits a second watch.

Final verdict: 3 POP Vinyl's out of 5.


Maze Runner: The Death Cure:

Synopsis: In the epic finale to the Maze Runner saga, Thomas leads his group of escaped Gladers on their final and most dangerous mission yet. To save their friends, they must break into the legendary Last City, a WCKD-controlled labyrinth that may turn out to be the deadliest maze of all. Anyone who makes it out alive will get answers to the questions the Gladers have been asking since they first arrived in the maze.

My thoughts: The Maze Runner trilogy has been unfortunately underappreciated since it debuted in 2014. The last film pulls no punches in giving us an action packed, satisfactory conclusion to the adventures of Thomas and gang, including heading back to where it all started... In a maze. Trilogies tend to leave a lot of strings dangling but The Death Cure does a good job of tying up those ends even if the budget did seem to plateau as box office receipts went down with each movie.

Final verdict: 4 young adult trilogies out of 5.

The Open House:

Synopsis: A woman, together with her son, moves to the beautiful vacation house of her sister placed in the mountains after she loses her husband in an accident...the house is actually for sale and expects visitors on Sundays...strange things start happening ...each night becomes more and more thrilling ...it feels they have companion...but is it only an illusion or is it real ... just watch and find out...

My thoughts: Uhhh so this was pretty bad. I mean not It Comes At Night bad since this was at least mildly intriguing early on though it suffers from the same end tropes as It Comes At Night. If you don't believe me here feel free to check out the user ratings on IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. Go ahead this article is over. I'm not holding you here.

Final verdict: 2 crazy neighbours out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment